No need to feel left out this “Pumpkin Spice Everything” season when you have this Pumpkin Spice Protein Smoothie recipe in your arsenal! It’s totes AIP, and it’ll make your pumpkin spice drive-thru junkie workmates completely jealous.
While your colleagues are slurping up their artificially flavored, sugary drinks topped with “whipped cream,” you can take comfort in knowing you’re consuming real foods that support your healthy AIP lifestyle.
Did You Know Pumpkin is a Superfood?
It’s actually one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat! Pumpkin is a powerhouse food that is low in calories and high in many health-promoting phytochemicals.
It provides a healthy dose of fiber, which is proven in supporting digestive health, regulating blood sugar and reducing the risk of heart disease!
Pumpkin is packed with nutrients like beta-carotene, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.
It can do your immune system some serious good because of the high levels of vitamin A – an antioxidant that helps fight off disease-causing free radicals in the body by preventing damage to cells involved in the immune response.
Annnd, because pumpkin has a high water volume, it helps you feel full and satiated, as well.
What About The Protein Powder?
While most protein powders are far from AIP compliant, I’m happy to let you know that Autoimmune Health & Nutrition has us covered! Check out their variety of flavors, from plain grass-fed collagen to Cherry “Chocolate,” Double “Chocolate” and the option I used in this delicious smoothie, Vanilla Banana!
Purchase your Autoimmune Health & Nutrition protein powders and save 10% off every order with coupon code AIP10 – click here to shop. (NOTE: Autoimmune H&N offer Paleo and AIP options, so be sure to select the correct product WITHOUT Stevia – want to know more about why Stevia is “out” on the AIP, click here).
If you’d like to read more about your options for protein powder on the AIP, please click here.
- 1 Cup Additive-Free Coconut Milk (or you can use 1/2 Cup Water and 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk)
- 1/2 Cup of Pumpkin Puree (NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling)
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Banana Protein Powder from Autoimmune Health & Nutrition (WITHOUT Stevia)
- 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup Ice Cubes (I use small ice cubes and only used 1/2 Cup for a thicker smoothie)
- 1 to 2 tsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 3/4 tsp Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- Dash of Ground Cloves
Coconut Whipped Cream (Optional)
- 13.5 oz full-fat additive-free coconut milk, chilled for 1-2 days (I always keep a can in the fridge so I'm ready for moments like this)
- 1 tbsp honey, maple syrup or powdered maple sugar or powdered coconut sugar (you simply blend it in a spice mill to make it powdered)
- 1 tsp pure or vanilla extract (not flavor)
For the Smoothie
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender/blender cup.
- Blend until completely smooth
- Pour into a tall glass or on-the-go tumbler and enjoy!
For the Optional Whipped Cream
- Place your can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Chill your mixing bowl for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Scoop out the hardened portion of coconut cream. Reserve the coconut water in a separate storage container for future use in a smoothie.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the coconut cream for one minute. Add your sweetener and vanilla and mix for an additional minute, until smooth and creamy.
- Use the coconut whipped cream right away or store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to one week.