Looking for an easy side that will satisfy the traditional potato lovers in your family so you don’t have to make multiple sides? Bacon Mashed White Sweet Potatoes is the answer!
My sweet potato hater hubby said I could make this any time! He really hates the sweetness of regular yams/sweet potatoes, but he finds white potatoes more palatable in a pinch. Thanks to bacon he actually enjoyed these … the savory flavors really do “hide” the sweetness. (See additional suggestions in the notes for even MORE flavor.)
This is so easy – and the whole family is gonna love it!
This is probably one of the first recipes I ever created … which meant I was too eager to eat it and I failed to photograph it … so this is a stock photo but a great representation of the dish. I’ll have to come back and update this image soon!
- Put diced sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Gently boil until tender.
- Meanwhile in a pan cook bacon and diced onion. (If you prefer your bacon crisp, cook it first and then remove from the pan and cook your onion in the bacon fat.) *DO NOT discard the bacon fat - you're going to use it*
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, drain and mash by hand (using a mixer will not yield a nice texture)
- Add a spoonful of bacon fat from the bacon you just cooked or if you have some on hand in the fridge (I always keep my left-over bacon fat for seasoning dishes or frying onions - so many uses)
- Add a small amount of chicken or beef broth and salt to taste and continue to mash until desired consistency is achieved.
- Gently fold in the cooked onions and bacon.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven.
Want More Flavor?
I kept this recipe really basic, but you can try adding some simple AIP spices like garlic powder and onion powder to taste. Feeling more adventurous in the kitchen? Try adding some roasted garlic and an olive oil drizzle - Yummy!
When you bring your fresh bacon home, wrap it in parchment in packs of 4 rashers/slices (or how many you'd typically use for your family) and freeze them immediately. This makes life so easy! I can grab one pack and dice it easily while it's still frozen - it cooks quick - no defrosting needed!