This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means.
Missing a good Caesar salad since you started the AIP?
Tired of every creamy salad dressing tasting like coconut milk or palm shortening? Don’t worry I’ve gotcha covered with this smoky grilled creation – Grilled Chicken & Romaine with Creamy Avocado Caesar Dressing!
Welcome to the second installment of our truLOCAL sponsored AIP Recipe Collection Grill Series!
SPOILER ALERT!! – Thanks to the generosity of our affiliates at truLOCAL and their special offer below, you can make this recipe several times for practically FREE when you sign up for a truLOCAL subscription!
If you missed the first recipe in our series, be sure to check it out – AIP Grilled Pork Ribs with Maple Glaze.
If you’re looking for even more truLOCAL inspired recipes, be sure to check out the rest of the recipes in our AIP Recipe Collection Grill Series.
Our goal is to bring you some drool worthy AIP grill recipes that EVERYONE will enjoy, but won’t take you forever and a day in the kitchen! That’s right folks – no need to cook separate meals when you’re serving up this kind of deliciousness!
We’re keeping this one SUPER SIMPLE, but because I know you’ll be asking, it’s easy to add some AIP compliant bacon, croutons and even Parmesan sprinkles! Check out the suggestions in the notes at the bottom of the recipe or keep your plate simple and let the non-AIPers in your midst use their standard store-bought favorites.
Since we know that grilling can be a bit of an art, we’ve tried to make the step-by-step instructions as precise as possible, and have included a few useful tips to help even the beginner feel like king of the grill! But don’t worry – the recipes are easy!
But first, a word about our sponsor!
truLOCAL is a fully flexible meat delivery/subscription service that connects you with top-quality, LOCALLY sourced meat and fish!
- EAT BETTER
- SAVE TIME
- SHOP LOCAL
- ALWAYS FLEXIBLE ALWAYS FREE DELIVERY!
But wait, there’s more!
I’m thrilled that our partners at truLOCAL have agreed to offer my followers their CHOICE of amazing offers!
Get 10% OFF -or- FREE Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts in their first TWO orders!
Shop with our affiliate link here and use coupon code AIPRECIPES10 for 10% off – or – coupon code AIPRECIPES at checkout and you’ll receive 6 or 4 FREE Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts in your first TWO boxes! (In Regular Size Box Orders – 6 / In Small Size Box Orders – 4. Please be sure to shop with BOTH the affiliate link AND the Coupon Code in order for your FREE Chicken Breast offer to be credited correctly.)
This simple recipe is full of flavor and uses common ingredients you probably already have on hand, and don’t worry, there’s little active prep and cook time on this one so you can put your feet up and relax!
We hope you enjoy our second installment of our truLOCAL-inspired grilling series of recipes and that you’ll sign up for a totally flexible, no-strings attached subscription so you can whip this up practically for FREE! Enjoy! ♥
Grilled Chicken & Romaine with Creamy Avocado Caesar Dressing
♥ RECIPE & IMAGE BY: AIPRecipeCollection.com ♥ Our quick and easy twist on a classic with a creamy AIP Caesar dressing that doesn't involve coconut! Keep it simple or dress it up!
- 2 Pkgs truLOCAL Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (total of 4 pieces)
- Himalayan Salt
- Black Pepper (stage 1 reintroduction)
- 2 Romaine Lettuce Hearts
- 1 or 2 Lemons for grilling and seasoning, cut in half or quarters (optional)
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped (optional)
Creamy Avocado Caesar Dressing :
- 2 Avocados, peeled and pitted
- 6 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt, or to taste
- 2 Lemons, juiced
- 1/2 tsp Anchovy Paste (optional but recommended)
- Thaw your truLOCAL chicken breasts in the refrigerator overnight or defrost in their packaging in cold water.
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a shallow glass dish. Arrange chicken in a single layer and allow to marinade for a total of 30 minutes (15 minutes in the refrigerator and 15 minutes at room temperature – see below. (NOTE: Do NOT over-marinate your chicken or the proteins will begin to break down due to the acidity of the marinade.)
- While your chicken is marinating, prepare the dressing.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a deep bowl or large liquid measuring cup and blend well using a stick/immersion blender. If your dressing is too thick, blend in ½ tsp of water (or additional lemon juice – test for flavor before you decide) at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Refrigerate and allow the flavors to meld. (NOTE: you can make your dressing ahead and store in the refrigerator as the lemon juice will keep the avocado from browning.)
- Trim and discard the root end of the romaine lettuce, removing only as much as necessary so the head remains intact. Cut the romaine in half lengthwise and rinse under cold running water (do not soak). Wrap the romaine in paper towels or a clean kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Bring chicken to room temperature approximately 15 minutes before grilling, this will help ensure your meat cooks more evenly.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat.
- Remove chicken breasts from marinade and place on pre-heated grill. Season with salt and pepper. Place halved or quartered lemons cut side down on grill.
- Allow chicken breasts to cook over high heat until they release easily from grill, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken breasts over, season again with salt and pepper and allow to cook on second side until chicken releases easily from grill. Reduce flame or move chicken
to cooler spots on your grill to avoid burning or flareups.
- Continue grilling lemon cut side down as chicken cooks. Cook lemon until slightly softened and grill marks have formed, about 5 minutes. Remove lemons from the grill and let stand.
- Continuing grilling chicken, turning and moving until cooked through and an internal temperature of 165F has been reached. (NOTE: If your chicken breasts are very thick and they begin to char or become over cooked on the outside, it may be necessary to cut them in half and place the uncooked, center cut on the grill or to flatten slightly before grilling. We found our truLOCAL boneless skinless chicken breasts to be the perfect size for grilling – no cutting or pre-flattening was required.)
- Remove chicken from grill and allow to rest, tented with foil, for
a few minutes prior to slicing. This allows the juices to settle back into the chicken.
- While the chicken is resting, place the washed and dried romaine hearts cut side down on the grill. Leaving lid open, cook until grill marks form, about 3 minutes. Gently turn the lettuce using tongs, and grill for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from grill. (NOTE: This method infuses a smoky flavor, but take care not to over-cook the lettuce, it should be lightly charred but NOT cooked through, retaining its fresh salad crunch.)
- Plate your grilled romaine heart and top with sliced grilled chicken breast, a drizzle of AIP Avocado Caesar Dressing and the grilled lemon on the side. Add a squeeze of grilled lemon to your salad and enjoy!
But what about the bacon, croutons and Parmesan for this Caesar?
Our goal with this dish was to give you an easy recipe that would get you off your feet quickly, so instead of bacon we're infusing the romaine with that smoky flavor from the grill.
Not afraid of a few extra steps in the kitchen? Feel free to add some AIP compliant bacon, croutons and Parmesan crumbles to this Caesar!
Where do you find these things?
Bacon - Read more about compliant bacon here.
Parmesan Crumbles - Check out this recipe, it sounds amazing!
(Be sure to use NON-Fortified Nutritional Yeast - you can learn more about that here)
Croutons - Try these Casabi crackers! So good!